Hector Norris Park was established in 1964 and has enjoyed continuous use of its 457m concrete track, providing the track cycling fraternity with many South Africa records and 2 world Masters Champions. Out of the current 81 South African records – 35 have been set at this facility.
Development to date in cycling has been achieved only through sponsorships provided to a select few in the disadvantaged communities. It is the intention of Hector Norris Park to provide a facility where many and any people from all walks of life can come and experience the thrill and participation in the various cycling disciplines.
Hector Norris Park believes that by creating a facility with equipment available far more people can benefit from the use as opposed to a “lucky” few who know the right people. It is this infrastructure that will provide the ability to identify talent from any quarter based on the individual’s ability.
It is our vision to grow provincial and national cycling to a world renowned level. By establishing Hector Norris Park as the “Home of Cycling”, with facilities that can support sustainable growth for cycling and ensure substantial development and support for cycling athletes at all levels within all disciplines.
Hector Norris Park’s objectives are:
- To create a self-reliant non-profit organization that will contribute to the success and growth of Provincial and National Cycling.
- To be instrumental in providing the expertise and infrastructure that will support and create future World and Olympic champions.
- To make the sport of cycling accessible to the general population by providing facilities for the centralizing of cycling administration.
- Provide facilities for the previously disadvantaged and under-privileged to ensure increased participation and growth of the sport.
- Provide accommodation facilities to the top cyclists in order to prepare for national and international high profile events.
- Provide professional support services to the athletes in the form of technical, medical, nutritional and psychological advisory services.
- Provide training facilities for all cycling disciplines.